Saturday, October 8, 2011

Bol


(Urdu: بول; translated variously as "Say", "Speak" or "Talk") is a 2011 Urdu-language Pakistani film. Last Friday night, I called some of my friends over, and we watched Bol on my couch. When my friend was loading the film on her laptop, I was quite apprehensive. Pakistani movies do not have a reputation of being the most appropriate ones, and I was afraid this one would disappoint my friends. However, my friends loved it, and I can safely say it was the best Pakistani film I have ever seen, it changed me on so many different levels, and it allowed me to set my perspectives and priorities straight.

Bol talks about social issues. It incorporates several issues in one film and that is the beauty of it: discrimination against transsexuals, over-growing population, religious views about child-birth, discrimination against women, prostitution, relations between siblings and parents and children, and the issues of bureaucracy. Pakistan is facing so many social issues at the moment, and this movie highlights most of them. I applaud Shoaib Mansoor, the director of the film, for being able to include so many variety of social issues without making the movie exhaustive. The catchy tunes of Atif Aslam and Sajjad Ali added further flavour to the movie. Every song has a purpose in the movie, and furthers the plot. I can safely say it was a Friday evening well-spent! I am so proud of Pakistani movies now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment